Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Weekend at Whistler

Whistler. The number one ski resort in North America.

I have never been to any other ski resorts so its hard for me to draw a comparison but what I found in Whistler, I can't describe in words. The feeling of being surrounded by the raw beauty of nature is just captivating. From the majestic mountains to the pristine, powder snow - I don't think any of the photos I have taken would have done it justice.

The weekend road trip was quite a last minute decision, planned after I found out that my new roomie had a cabin up at Whistler and generously handed me the keys to the place (Thanks Marie, you are super awesome =D) So I gathered a bunch of us, and the road trip begins...

Amazing how much we could fit into the boot

Left side drive..still getting use to that
Views on the way there
Such a scenic drive
Are we almost there yet..
2 hrs later..we arrive. Welcome to Whistler!
Cute little cabins there..or should I say massive cabins
Our very own awesome cabin

The awesome inhabitants of the cabin
We pulled up to our cabin which you can't actually see in the above photo because its at the back.

Hello cabin!
Views from our balcony
The field of white is actually a lake that has frozen over
Just amazing
 Lets take a tour inside our cabin..

Our cozy fireplace

Inside the sauna
My room
Pete's room
Joel's room
Brian's room
3 levels of awesome

LCD Flat screen - high tech cabin!
Room full of snow gear
More gear downstairs..
And even more! This cabin really has everything  
 
 Time to check out the night life..






 After a day of settling in, exploring the cabin and checkin out the nightlife...we hit up the slopes the next day.

Off we go..
The snowboarding team
There is a man hanging off the chopper in the background


We attended Pete's teaching snowboarding school for beginners...

Our class - such eager students!
Our instructor
Private lessons
Check out the snow patch, you can tell how much I fall over

Baby steps...
"Don't let go Pete!"



And I still manage to fall..
Getting back up again


Wow..standing on my own

Action shot
Watch this pro...
...fall down
































Watch this pro..
completely stack it...
We all had our fair share of falls
Graduated! Now taking the gondola to the next level

So white it hurts..

Incredible views

Completely surrounded by mountains
On top of the world!
After an exhausting day of snowboarding, it was time to head home and relax...
Dinner Time: KFC and Asian noodles with soup
Dessert time: Roasted marshmallows next to the fireplace


Bed Time: KO

I woke up the next day feeling sore in every muscle of my body. Even muscles I didn't know existed before. But it was sooooooooo worth it.

More photo whoring moments:

Team Australia on the right vs Team Canada on the left
I don't even know what to say..
Blueberry pancakes with leftover KFC..delicious!
Frying up some Canadian bacon..look at that oily goodness

They don't have garbage collection in Whistler

So we had to take it with us
And empty them in the local bins. Does not look dodgy at all.



And that is the end of our awesome weekend...but it won't be long until we head back again..after Christmas =D

How I love life.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a really fun time Ling! And haha, I'm not sure if you meant bacon from Canada, or actually Canadian bacon, but Canadian bacon is pretty much like ham. What you guys were cooking was just "normal" bacon ;P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know =) I just like adding the word 'Canadian' before everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I kinda like that actually. I think from now on, I'll see if I can work the word 'Canadian' to everything too ;)!

    ReplyDelete