Monday, March 7, 2011

Chinese Food

After being in Vancouver for a good 5 months, I finally had dim sum!! I didn't find it extraordinary or anything memorable, just tasted like Chinese food. And who else should I dine with than a fellow friend from Perth. I could have been inside Northbridge Chinese Restaurant for all I know. Its happened to me a few times before where I forget that I'm in Vancouver, and think I'm back at home. So weird!

Like any other typical chinese restaurant
Egg tarts..so derrriciousss..
Lunch for two

Then it was time to head to our favourite asian store..TNT!!! If I had my way, I'd open TNT in Australia.

Look at the size of those taros!
Mmmm..Eels..yum
A turtle..for real.
From Austalia
A whole entire chicken
Live abalone
Our shopping cart, full of groceries
Waiting for the skytrain..for three whole minutes
Back home
So fun.

And you know what else is fun, not having to work. That's fun. I have a lot of people ask me when I am going to get a job and it seems like everyone is more worried about it than I am. I am not worried because I know in this season of rest, it will prepare me for something great to come.

It's taken me a while to be at peace with not working, because a lot of my own identity was derived from what I did. I mean think about it, when you meet someone, one of the first questions asked would normally be "So, what do you do?" If one person answered "Doctor" and another answered "I don't work", who would you place more value on? Even a "I'm at school" answer shows that they are working towards something and that has value.

That's just the way our society works and its unfortunate because I know so many people out there who don't follow their dreams because they have been told that what they want to be has no value. Its sad really, that's why you see so many people hating their jobs. They see it as a means to an end. I never want to be in that position again and I'm happy taking this time to find out what I want, not what other people want for me. Lets just say I don't work for two years..whats two years in the grand scheme of things? If I live until 80, I'm investing 2.5% of my life to work out what I want to do for the rest of it...pretty good investment of time if you ask me.

I am really blessed that I find myself in a community where people are not afraid to follow their dreams, not afraid of failing, not afraid of what others think. It truly inspires and encourages me to see so much entrepreneurial spirit in every direction I turn, to watch people fulfil their dreams. It makes me want to chase mine even more.

1 comment: