Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tragedy in Japan

So sucks.

An earthquake measuring 8.9 on the Richter scale hit Japan on March, 11th 2011.

No doubt that the aftermath of this tragedy is devastating but what comes out of great catastrophes reveals the raw human instinct to survive. Thoughts from 'Should I get starbucks today?' turn to 'When will I get my next supply of clean water?' Worries about interest rates rising, the stock market falling, fuel prices increasing change to what can I eat, what will I drink, when can I shower?

For me, the most interesting observation that has come out of this natural disaster, was the reaction of the Japanese people. No looting, no stealing, no shooting - none of this 'every man for themselves' mentality. Why? I don't know, I'm no expert in this field but I'm sure it might have something to do with the culture they were raised in and what is expected of them. Looking out for the best interest of the group rather than themselves.

Imagine how different the world would be if everyone had that mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment