Friday, October 15, 2010

And this is where it begins

So this is the first time I've written a blog, its not something I've ever considered before because I never thought I'd be tech savvy enough to start one. But here goes nothing, bear with me ..I'm taking baby steps. You might even get photos in the next post if you stayed tuned! Hahaha...I'm already trying to get you hooked like a daytime soapie with a terrible cliffhanger.

Anyway, back to my life story which also reads like a daytime soapie less all the drama. Almost one year ago - October 13th, 2009  to be exact - something a little out of the ordinary happened. As I was walking to work, I got hit by a cyclist coming quite quickly from around the street bend. The collision left me with a fractured lumbar bone. It was, of course, completely unexpected and sorta ruined my plans for the day. I still remember being in hospital and wondering whether I could make it to the run with the Jacob's crew that evening and if I was still stuck in hospital that night, whether I could go for a run on Thursday. I must have been in shock or something and did not comprehend the seriousness of my accident, probably in a little denial too. Just a little. I was certainly not happy that my plans were interrupted by this little incident!  Well, it changed more than just my plans for that day, it had initiated a change in my life.

I was pretty much stuck in bed in one position for one whole week, unable to move so that my bones can heal. And I can tell you now, that was the longest week of my life. I was lucky though, I had friends and family visit me every single day, bringing me magazines, laptops with movies, and lots of good ole junk food. And this was when I discovered grain waves (omg, they don't have grain waves in Canada!!)Anyway, I was well entertained but it was the frustration of being dependent on someone else for everything that really got to me. Once that one week was over, I had to spend the next three months in a back brace which pretty meant I was house bound since I wasn't allowed to drive and I had to rest my back a lot.
I guess in that period, I had a lot of time to reflect on my life and what I wanted out of it. It became clear to me that going to work day in, day out, earning money to buy a house was not a dream that I was chasing, but rather it was what I felt was expected of me. And then there was always that internal struggle to fight for what I thought I wanted vs what I really wanted.

The accident showed me, and as cliche as it sounds, that life is short and sometimes we don't get second chances. If I was hit at the wrong angle, if the cyclist was going any faster, if my bones actually lodged into my spinal cord...there are so many ifs but now I make the most with the opportunities I have been given because second chances don't always come around.

As much as I did not enjoy being in hospital, it pushed me in the right direction and gave me the strength to break free from the expectations of the world. I quit my secure job in Accounting (how typical right) and booked a flight to the other side of the world. This was not an easy process; a lot of people were concerned about what I was doing and seriously, I don't blame them. I mean, I didn't even know what I was doing! Try explaining to your parents that you want to travel to the States and Canada where you don't know a single soul, on your own. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do (as long as its legal my friends).

I'm constantly trying to get ahead of myself, asking 'and then what?' ' what do I do now?' but I've learnt to take one day at a time. I'm discovering new things every single day and learning to appreciate the little things in life. WOW..that last sentence sounded so cliche, but you know what, its true. And to be honest, I still don't know why I'm here or what I have to do but that's ok, we can take this journey together =)

No comments:

Post a Comment