Saturday, October 16, 2010

Surfin' the USA

Due to the sheer number of passengers using LA International Airport, it's no surprise to hear horror stories of the delay time. Last year alone, they had around 60 million people coming in and out of  LAX. Knowing this, I was prepared for an extremely long wait. My flight landed 10 minutes early and I estimated that it'll take me around 2 hours to get out. Instead, Customs pretty much let me through without even blinking an eye and out the gates I went. The total time from when the plane touched down to exiting the airport: 30 minutes! Can you believe that? I've spent longer waiting for the restroom in Starbucks!

 My first view of LA.

So that's when it hits me. I am actually in LA - the humidity, the smog, the noise instantly consumes me leaving me feeling a little overwhelmed. I take a few moments to clear my thoughts, to think straight because from here on in, no one is going to hold my hand and baby sit me. I am on my own.

So first thing first, I had to find a way to the place I was staying. I figured my host was not probably expecting me for another two hours so I had some time to burn. I decided to catch the bus because we all know how slow public transport is. So off I went to find one that went to Santa Monica, I had a rough idea where I was going and I figured I could wing the rest once I get there.

Girls and boys, take it from me, don't try and wing it at night in a foreign city you've never been to. Who knows what I was thinking..actually, I probably wasn't thinking. Damn 14 hour flight. Anyway, once I found the Big Blue Bus which went to Santa Monica, I realized I didn't have any coins.

FAIL

Lucky for me, I didn't have to explain to the bus driver that I was from out of town. Judging from the luggage I was hauling around and the I-just-spent-14-hours-on-a-plane-so-please-let-me-get-on-for-free look in my eyes, he took pity and let me on. Once on the bus, I kinda realised I didn't really know where I was going and asked the elderly lady sitting next to me which stop I should get off at. She suggested I get off the same stop as her and walk to the local deli to call a taxi. I followed her suggestion and ended up at some local fast food joint, waiting in line with my luggage to grab a cab. I was standing around for like 2 minutes, looking like super lost, when I was approached by a middle aged man. Duh Duh Duuuhhhhhh *plays scary music*


And so I did exactly what a solo female traveler should NEVER do - get into a car with a stranger.

Waittttttttt...let me explain the situation.

He looked friendly.

I'm kidding, that's not why I followed him. It was pretty much because his wife was sitting the car as well. They were the sweetest couple, Mark and Chris. They took me to the address of where I was staying even though they had no idea where it was. During the car ride, Chris constantly messaged their daughter to check google map for directions and 15 minutes later we found the place. They left me their number in case of any emergencies and gave me a quick hug good bye. SWEEEEETTTT.

So where exactly was I staying?

I was couchsurfing! And this is a typical conversation which normally occurs after I say that:

You: So what's this couchsurfing thing?

Me: Basically, its an organization where you can 'surf' people's couches.

You: Huh?

Me: You surf people's couches.

You: What?! Is it safe?!

Me: Its as safe as you want it to be. Before you randomly go surf with anyone, check out their profiles. You know, see what they're about, make sure they have positive references, check if they've been vouched for, check if they're verified etc.

You: Yeah, but people can make stuff up in their profiles and they might just be creeps who lure innocent girls into their place then KILL them.

Me: True, people can make stuff up but like anything, use your judgement. Don't request to surf with someone whose profile only consists of a shady photo of themselves in sunnies. Check how long they've been members for, see what other people write about their experience with them and most importantly, read read read their profiles to learn more about them. As for the weirdos..not much you can do about that. There are always people out there taking advantage of a good thing, but don't let that taint your impression of couchsurfing. The bottom line is, use your common sense. That really should be the case with anything.

You: Oh..so you just stay over their place? How much do you pay?

Me: Its free! But that's not the best bit. The best part is the friendships you make along the way and being able to see the city from the eyes of a local instead of a tourist. In each of the cities I've visited, I tried to avoid the touristy things (didn't work in LA though - I HAD to see Hollywood and stalk celebrities) and go to places that locals would go to as well. You get a better feel of the area when you live like a local.

Check it out if you want more info: http://www.couchsurfing.org/.  But couchsurfing isn't for everyone, just depends on what you want out of a trip. I know for me, I've had an awesome time couchsurfing and only had positive experiences each and every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment